The Story is About   +  novel

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Release Date: May 5, 2009
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 304

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

Wings was definitely a unique take on fairy mythology. And I finally get the significance of the cover now, which I have to say fits the novel perfectly.

I’m a huge fan of the Faery/Fairy/Fae... (was is it really?) genre, or rather sub-genre. I wasn’t surprised that I liked this novel. Fun plot line, really different than anything I’ve read. The first part of the novel moved a little slow for me. But once I became fully engrossed in the world that Pike created, I couldn’t get through the pages fast enough.

The writing was outstanding, it flowed really well. It’s one of those instances where you don’t realize your reading it’s so easy to read. Maybe that’s just something that happens to me personally, but I love when it does.

The characters were well depicted. Although we don’t know much about Laurel’s history, I still felt like I really knew her as a character, and even though Tamani’s presence in the novel is few and far between, he is probably my favorite character, which says a lot for Pike’s character development. Hoping we learn more about them and they develop further in the series.

And then of course one of my personal favorite elements in any story... the love triangle! I can’t wait to see more of that in the future novels, as far as I’m aware I believe there are to be three more, consisting of a four book series... I could be wrong.

Overall, a exciting and beautifully written novel!