The Story is About   +  young adult

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Release Date: June 1, 2009
Publisher: Point
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 292

16-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.

There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship...and reality.

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?

Sea Change was enchanting! And I'm not just saying that because we share a certain aspect of mythology! Sea Change is a novel shrouded in mystery. My initial interest in this story began even before I read the synopsis, I was mesmerized by the beautiful cover. (I'm a cover whore! I can't help it.) And the story is just as magical as the cover depicts.

Friedman's depiction of Miranda was outstanding. Her love of logic and feelings of solitude, made her a very easy character to relate to. And Leo only added to the mysterious appeal of the entire novel. The secondary characters where very stereotypical, but I don't think that in this instance that took away from the overall story.

Friedman takes her readers on a journey of suspense and excitement. I can see how the ending can be upsetting to some, but I loved that it left endless possibilities. Although the mystery surrounding the island is never truly revealed, I think that makes the story more enjoyable.

Sea Change is an excellent read for a day on the beach or curled up on your couch.