The Story is About   +  Terri MacLeod

Interview Terri MacLeod

Terri MacLeod and her daughter Brittany came together to compile the ultimate list of 113 Things to do by 13 and turned it into a super cute and fun book! Here is an interview with Terri.



Where did you come up with idea?

Right before my daughter Brittany’s 13th birthday, she wrote down 100 things she wanted to do before 13. When she showed me the list I flashbacked to being ‘13’ and remembered all the crazy drama – from body hang-ups to mean girls to just feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. As a mother, you want to protect your daughter, but you also know kids need to develop their own coping skills. So, I decided as a gift to my daughter and all tweens I would write a guidebook to life. I wanted to cover all the issues of tweenhood from serious stuff like cyber-bullying and nasty gossip to the fun stuff things like have a ‘food fight’ or ‘take the dare in truth or dare.’ The message of “113 Things To Do By 13” is simple: Be inspired. Be confident. Learn to love you for simply being you.

What was it like co-authoring with your daughter?

We definitely had our moments. But, we made it through and still talk. I tease! I actually wrote the bulk of the book and my daughter would edit my tween lingo. …To make sure “113 Things” didn’t sound preachy and had the voice of a tween. Brittany wrote most of the silly/fun stuff in the book, such as “throw ice cubes down your shirt and create a new dance’ or ‘have a massive sundae and pig out.’ While, I put together more of the girl power items, like ‘discover your talent and work on it’ or ‘have on OMG moment and learn from it.’ Also, “113 Things” is packed with tons of can-do tips from more than 100 people, including tween insiders and celebrities. Selena Gomez shared why it’s important not to judge others and The Camp Rock girls shared how they define a good friend.

What do you want teens to take away from book?

The most important message is for teens to build confidence, have a positive attitude and develop a can-do attitude. The teen years are so hard between peer pressure and just feeling out of sorts. I hope young girls will be inspired by the items on the list and think outside the box and realize there’s more to life than being the popular girl. It is so important to develop interests outside of school – it gives you confidence and teaches you not to sweat the small stuff.

What has been the most rewarding aspect from writing 113?

Just having the opportunity to pass on a positive message to young girls. I had such a tough time at “13” with my own means girls and being excluded – that I really don’t want others to suffer. Hopefully I can inspire and get girls to take a positive view on life and their future. Also, it’s important for young girls to have fun and enjoy being a young teen – there’s plenty of time to sweat the serious boy issues and/or figuring out your career.

Are you planning on writing another book?

I would love to write another – there’s always “116 Things To Do Before 16.”



Thanks Terri for that great interview! Be sure to check back tomorrow with my review of 113 Things to do by 13!