The Story is About   +  young adult

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

Release Date: August 1, 2009
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 384
From: publisher
Interest: author & genre

She doesn't see dead people, but…

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…

I have Rachel’s adult series sitting on my shelf, they still need to be read, but when the opportunity arose to read her debut YA novel, I knew I had to pounce! (That was totally a pun for her werecats novels, just in case you didn’t get that.)

This was an interesting start to a new series. The whole premise of soul screamers is very original and unique amongst the throng of ya paranormal novels. The beginning was slow, but with the amount of back story that Rachel had to do, it was almost inevitable, you can’t just throw this soul screaming ability out there and not explain what’s going on. Rachel’s writing has a really nice flow as well. I had a lot of “don’t do that to me, tell me more!” moments, but I think that’s what helped keep my attention throughout the novel.

I really liked Kaylee’s character. To me she’s a typical teenage girl, but I still found her and her ability fascinating to read about. Her relationship with Nash seemed a little rushed for me. And perhaps a little too convenient. However, I’m still interested to see what will happen between the two of them. Although, I find myself on team Tod. (That’s all I’m going to say about Tod, you’ll just have to read the book to learn more about that one.)

Overall a exciting addition to the YA paranormal genre. I’m really looking forward to reading the rest of this series.