The Story is About   +  young adult

Another Faust by Daniel & Dina Nayeri

Another Faust by Daniel & Dina Nayeri

Release Date: August 25, 2009
Publisher: Candlewick
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 400
From: book fairy
Interest: n/a

One night, in cities all across Europe, five children vanish - only to appear, years later, at an exclusive New York party with a strange and elegant governess. Rumor and mystery follow the Faust teenagers to the city’s most prestigious high school, where they soar to suspicious heights with the help of their benefactor’s extraordinary “gifts.”

But as the students claw their way up - reading minds, erasing scenes, stopping time, stealing power, seducing with artificial beauty - the side-effects of their own addictions. And as they make further deals with the devil, they uncover secrets more shocking than their most
unforgivable sins.

At once chilling and wickedly satirical, this contemporary reimagining of the Faustian bargain is a compelling tale of ambition, consequences, and ultimate redemption.
This was an interesting read to say the least. I wasn’t aware when I first found the title was that the title was an extension of “Faustian bargains” or what I’ve always known it as– selling your soul to the devil. Perhaps I was alone in this revelation. I’ve seen it portrayed in literature and movies before, but this was an altogether take, which was refreshing.

I enjoyed the overall story, the manipulations, the deceit, the jealousy, makes you feel all warm in fuzzy inside to know what humans are capable of. But despite my intrigue with overall premise, at times I found the story to be tedious and sporadic. Parts of the story felt incomplete, while others were beautifully detailed.

And the ending for me, was completely anticlimactic. I found that I had a lot more questions than answers. Who really was Madame Vileroy and what was the point?

However, I did enjoyed the power of redemption that some of the characters ultimately achieved.