The Story is About   +  young adult

Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe

Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe

Release Date: September 15, 2009
Publisher: Henry Holt
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 256
From: publisher
Interest: debut author

Cass McKenna much prefers the company of ghosts over "breathers." Ghosts are uncomplicated and dependable, and they know the dirt on everybody... and Cass loves dirt. She's on a mission to expose the dirty secrets of the poseurs in her school.

But when the vice president of the student council discovers her secret, Cass's whole scheme hangs in the balance. Tim wants her to help him contact his recently deceased mother, and Cass reluctantly agrees.

As Cass becomes increasingly entwined in Tim's life, she's surprised to realize he's not so bad--and he needs help more desperately than anyone else suspects. Maybe it's time to give the living another chance...
Another fantastic debut novel! Give Up the Ghost had a more serious tone that I had initially anticipated. Which wasn't a bad thing, but it took me a while to switch gears. That's why you should never have a predisposition about a book! I wasn’t expecting the prominent role that death played in this novel, I mean sure it’s about ghosts, but I was thinking more along the lines of happy times with Casper the friendly ghost, something more light-hearted. Anyhow, once I switched myself over to a more serious mood, I immensely enjoyed the book. I mean not that is was scary or extremely serious by any means, but it wasn't fluffy. However, there were several humorous moments that really added to the story.

Megan has a great writing style, it flows nicely, it’s not overdone. The characters are well developed. And even though I thought Cass was a bit of a hypocrite, I can see why she did what she did. I would have liked to have gotten more back story about Cass and her ability. I needed more of an explanation than she just developed it one day.

It was definitely something different. Loved the fresh aspects of redemption, and hope.