The Story is About   +  young adult

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

Release Date: September 14, 2009
Publisher: Clarion Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 272
From: author
Interest: plot/theme

Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up. Now seventeen, Tamsin attends boarding school in Manhattan, far from her family. But when a handsome young professor mistakes her for her very Talented sister, Tamsin agrees to find a lost family heirloom for him. The search—and the stranger—will prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the sins of her family, and unleash a power so vengeful that it could destroy them all. This is a spellbinding display of storytelling that will exhilarate, enthrall, and thoroughly enchant.
Although Carolyn had a few novels under her belt already, Once a Witch was my first experience with her writing, and I’m looking forward to more.

Tamsin was a very relatable character. Feeling like you don’t quite fit in with your family or that you’ll never live up to their standards is something that I remember struggling with myself. I loved the dynamics of her family and how even though it was so huge everyone was close in their own ways. It was refreshing to read about a “normal” happy and loving family even if they were witches! Characterization was great, even with the secondary characters. I would have liked to seen the relationship between Gabriel and Tamsin a little more developed. I know they were supposed to have a history, but it still felt like there was something missing. Although, I did enjoy the comic relief that Gabriel provided.

The plot was interesting... um I mean, engaging. I don’t think I’ll ever say interesting again after reading this book! Anyway, the plot was engaging! A little mystery, a dash of romance, all rolled up into a ball of intrigue! Delivers one magical novel!

Overall, it was just fun . A feel good, can’t wait for the next one, kind of read.