The Story is About   +  young adult

Tricks by Ellen Hopkins

Tricks by Ellen Hopkins

Release Date: August 25, 2009
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 627
From: publisher
Interest: author
Buy the Book: Amazon

/Indiebound

Five teenagers from different parts of the country. Three girls. Two boys. Four straight. One gay. Some rich. Some poor. Some from great families. Some with no one at all. All living their lives as best they can, but all searching...for freedom, safety, community, family, love. What they don't expect, though, is that they can have all of these things when those powerful little words "I love you" are said for all the wrong reasons. Five moving stories remain seperate at first, then interweave to tell a larger, powerful story- a story about making choices, taking leaps of faith, falling down, and growing up.
Three words; heartbreaking, depressing & nightmare

I had a really hard time getting through this book. Not because it was poorly written, but because it was heartwrenching. I was disgusted, I was appaled, I was depressed.

I couldn't definitely feel a emotional change in myself the week I read this book. It took me a long time to want to read something again... and I just wanted something light and fluffy.

Hopkins is a powerful writer and I give her kudos for writing about these issues, I know I could never do it. I can't imagine the state you would feel after writing something like this. Hopkins amazes me, she never fails to touch a cord with me.

Thanks Ellen.

Gritty, graphic, real. Tricks is a powerful read.