The Story is About   +  novel

Out of Sight, Out of Mind by Marilyn Kaye

Out of Sight, Out of Mind by Marilyn Kaye

Release Date: February 2, 2009
Publisher: Kingfisher
Age Group: Middle Grade
Pages: 222
Source: Blue Slip Media
Interest: Premise
Buy the Book/Associate Links: Amazon

/Indiebound

Thirteen year old Queen-of-mean Amanda Beeson, wakes up one morning in the wrong body. She's become lonely, unfashionable Tracey Devon - one of Amanda's targets for bullying. Amanda discovers that Tracey, ignored at home and at school, has the ability to turn invisible. Amanda sets out to rescue her one-time victim from obscurity - as well as rescuing herself from Tracey's life!
Three words; one-mean-girl

This novel just wasn't my cup of tea. I tried to and really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it.

The writing was good, but the plot and characterization was lacking.

Amanda really didn't not learn anything from her experience, and she's not a likable character, there are some moments of sympathy toward her, but those become mute at the end of the book, when it seems like she's back to her old ways. I know this is part of a nine part series, but I just felt like there was a lot of character introductions without any information... there was nothing there that made me want to continue to read the series and discover the other characters.

The plot seemed to drag at times, and the over-all revelation was sort of laughable... *spoiler alert* " use your powers and tell me the winning lottery numbers!" I mean really...?

I would recommend this series to a younger reader, but with all the other great ones out there, I probably won't continue to read the rest of this series. Although I will most likely pick up future titles by the author.