The Story is About   +  movie

The Lonely Hearts Club Tour!

Elizabeth Eulberg

Books: The Lonely Hearts Club

(January 1, 2010)

Website
Blog


The Lonely Hearts Club

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like. . . .


1) Do you have any writing “must haves”?

I have to listen to music while writing. While writing The Lonely Hearts Club, I only listened to Beatles. It was weird starting a new book (which I’m working on now) and figuring out what to listen to. As much as I love the Beatles, I think I should keep them strictly for Penny Lane’s voice.

I’ve also learned that I have to have an outline or basic idea of what I’m going to write before I sit down at my computer. Since I mostly write on the weekends, I’ll think about plot and characters during the week. So when I finally sit down to write, I have a very clear idea of what I need to accomplish.

2) Describe your writing in three words.

Humorous. Succinct. Evolving.

3) If you could travel back in time, where would you go? And what three things would you take along?

Oh, this is a hard one! Since I’m in total Beatles mode with the book right now, I would want to go back to February 9, 1964 when the Beatles played The Ed Sullivan Show for the first time. Or to Liverpool, England to catch one of their first concerts at the Cavern. Any chance to see those four perform together would be incredible.

I’d have to take my iPod (I can’t live without it!), a digital camera (I need proof!) and some sort of 1960s-compatible charger.

4) What's something about you that people wouldn't think is true?

I have pretty varied tastes, especially with movies and television shows. But a few of my friends think I’m crazy that I LOVE this Japanese game show called “Ninja Warrior.” Calling it a game show really doesn’t describe the completely insane obstacle course that these athletes (the ones who can survive it are truly athletes) have to go through. Only two people have ever claimed the title “Ninja Warrior” by completely all four obstacles. I get super nervous and worked up watching it. My favorite player is Shingo Yamamoto – he works at a gas station and wears his uniform when he competes. Seriously, I could go on and on about this show. Which might make people think that I’m making it up, but I’m not! It’s on G4 and they only have new shows twice a year. Which isn’t enough… Wow, now I’m hoping people won’t think this is true! ;)

5) What's it like being a debut author?

It’s fantastic! I’ve been working on The Lonely Hearts Club for so long that it’s very surreal to finally have it out and hear from people who have read it. I’ve been on the other side (as a publicist) for so long, I wasn’t sure how I would be with MY book. However, every new experience—seeing the cover, holding the Advance Readers Copy, going to a bookstore to see it on a shelf—has been very fun and rewarding.


Join Lonely Hearts Club author Elizabeth Eulberg and Amy of MyFriendAmy for a Twitter party Wednesday, January 20, between 8:30 and 9:30 p.m. EST!

  • Be sure to follow Elizabeth @ElizEulberg and Amy @MyFriendAmy before the party!
  • Join the fun! No one expects you or your tweets to be perfect; we’re just happy you made it to the party!
  • Anyone who tweets during this hour using the hash tag #LonelyHeartsClub is entered to win a limited edition Lonely Hearts Club t-shirt!
  • Watch for questions from @MyFriendAmy and win awesome prizes including an iPod shuffle, $50 iTunes gift card or $25 VISA gift card!
  • To join the party, you can use our official party tweetgrid or just search #LonelyHeartsClub on Twitter.
  • Ask Elizabeth questions or chat with other partygoers about how excited you are to read LHC—just use the tag #LonelyHeartsClub in all of your party tweets! (This is added automatically in TweetGrid.)
  • Please don’t post any spoilers and don’t forget to pay attention to the time zones, the party starts at 8:30pm EST.