The Story is About   +  novel

Author Interview: Janet Fox

Janet Fox

Books:

  • Faithful

Website/Blog


Faithful

In 1904 Margaret Bennet has it all – money, position, and an elegant family home in Newport, Rhode Island. But just as she is to enter society, her mother ruins everything, first with public displays, and finally by disappearing. Maggie’s confusion and loss are compounded when her father drags her to Yellowstone National Park, where he informs her that they will remain. At first Maggie’s only desire is to return to Newport. But the mystical beauty of the Yellowstone landscape, and the presence of young Tom Rowland, a boy unlike the others she has known, conspire to change Maggie from a spoiled girl willing to be constrained by society to a free-thinking and brave young woman living in a romantic landscape at the threshold of a new century.

(summary from author's website)



You write for children and young adults. Do you have an intended audience in mind when you write or do you just have a story to tell?

I just tell the story that’s burning to be written. I actually don’t think about my audience when I begin a project – the character dictates the terms. Age, gender, place in life all emerge as the character’s story builds. Most often I start with a concept that intrigues me, and then once I can frame that concept into a coherent sentence, the character who tells the story comes next. But whether that character will be 11 or 14 or 17 and whether her story is middle grade or YA will depend on a convergence of things that happen within the first few sentences I write.

What was your path to publication like for Faithful?

Long! I started Faithful years ago – I think about seven or eight years ago. I’d been writing for years, but not for children and young adults and not in a serious way. When I came up with the idea for Faithful I started learning the ropes: how to tell a great story, what publishing for young adults was all about, what other books young people were reading. My son was quite young and I was busy with him and with teaching, so I couldn’t pursue the novel full time. The first few years the story didn’t move much, and it wasn’t until about 4 years ago that I had some terrific advice that took the novel to the next level. Then I found my agent (at an SCBWI critique) and she sold Faithful about a year later.

Readers may not be aware that you have a masters in science. Did your love of geology have any inspiration in writing Faithful?

Yes, it did. Because of my love of geology I also have a love of the natural world and I believe that environment shapes character to a profound extent. Yellowstone is not only one of my most favorite places on earth it is also truly unique and magical. It’s physically beautiful (azure hot springs), frightening (it’s a volcano), and a visual treat (from herds of buffalo to erupting geysers to deep silent forests.) Once I came up with the idea of telling Maggie’s story it seemed natural to set it in Yellowstone, for her character needed what Yellowstone has.

Describe your writing in three words.

Wow – that’s a tough question. Okay: visual, heartfelt, chewy.

If you could travel back in time for one year, where would you go and what three things would you take with you?

I’d go back to 1991, when my mom was still alive. I’d take a copy of Faithful (she’d be so thrilled – she was a frustrated writer), pictures of our place in Montana, and my son at his current age of 18, because she passed away when he was three. I’d treasure every second of my time with her (not that I didn’t then – but it would mean more now. I miss her.)

What are you working on now, can you tell us anything about it?

Yes – I’m writing the second book of the Faithful series, due out in June 2011. The title is Forgiven, and what I can say is that it doesn’t follow Maggie, but Kula. I felt that Kula needed her own story. I’m excited about it. Kula will find love and have great adventures, and I’m also dealing with some deeper social issues of the time.

But I should also add that I’m working on a dystopian novel set 200 years in the future, and another novel about a great war between good and evil…lots of things to work on.

Thank you, Kristi, for hosting me!



Thanks so much Janet for stopping by! You can find Janet's next stop on the tour tomorrow at In Bed with Books!