The Story is About   +  young adult

Glimmerglass by Jenna Black

Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker Book 1) by Jenna Black

Release Date: May 25, 2010
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 304
Source: Publisher
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author Challenge
Interest: Debut Author
Buy the Book: Amazon

|Indiebound|Powell's|Barnes & Noble

It’s all she’s ever wanted to be, but it couldn’t be further from her grasp…

Dana Hathaway doesn’t know it yet, but she’s in big trouble. When her alcoholic mom shows up at her voice recital drunk, again, Dana decides she’s had enough and runs away to find her mysterious father in Avalon: the only place on Earth where the regular, everyday world and the captivating, magical world of Faerie intersect. But from the moment Dana sets foot in Avalon, everything goes wrong, for it turns out she isn't just an ordinary teenage girl—she's a Faeriewalker, a rare individual who can travel between both worlds, and the only person who can bring magic into the human world and technology into Faerie.

Soon, Dana finds herself tangled up in a cutthroat game of Fae politics. Someone's trying to kill her, and everyone seems to want something from her, from her newfound friends and family to Ethan, the hot Fae guy Dana figures she’ll never have a chance with… until she does. Caught between two worlds, Dana isn’t sure where she’ll ever fit in and who can be trusted, not to mention if her world will ever be normal again…
A great start to a new series!

I'd never read anything by Jenna Black before although I've heard of her other titles. Wasn't exactly sure what to expect... but I was impressed.

I enjoyed some aspects of the novel more than others, Dana for one had a great voice. She was easily likable and you could feel empathetic toward her without being annoyed. She knows when she's being stupid or whiny and she catches herself, but even though she sees herself making a stupid mistake, sometimes she just does it anyway... that made Dana an even more realistic character. I for one, know that I've made multiple stupid mistakes in my lifetime and knew that they were stupid when I was doing them.

The Faeriewalker thing was a little confusing to me initially. I thought understood the basic concept but it still didn't make complete sense, I didn't understand what the big deal was... yeah.. so what Dana is a Faeriewalker, she can bring technology from one place to another... but what does that mean!...until the scene with Dana and her aunt and the gun... then it totally made sense! Then I was like... "OH, SNAP!" I don't think that is spoilery to say that, but just know if you are having trouble fully grasping the concept like I did, Black doesn't leave you hanging!

I think I was expecting a little more of a love story mixed in there as well, but I could see the possibility of a love triangle happening in future novels. And you know how much I love a love triangle... right now I think I am team Keane. Just something about that guy... think there is a little something under the surface that we don't know about yet, plus he is totally bad-ass... and I love a bad-ass!

The writing was awesome. I was sucked right into this story and hardly put the book down. I so can not wait until the next book! And I have a really bad craving for hot posset!