The Story is About   +  events

Dear Story Siren: BEA Edition (2)

Your first time to BEA can be a little overwhelming, I know I wouldn't have survived had it not been for the advice of my follow bloggers. This is my little way of trying to repay the favor. Please remember that I'm not a BEA expert, and I've only attended once, so I'm sure there are things I don't know about. If you have something to add, please do in the comments section! I can use all the help I can get!

If you have general BEA questions you might want to check out BEA Q&A and Intro to BEA, a lot of questions that were submitted were answered in these two posts so I won't be readdressing them. You can also find all the posts I've mention BEA in, by selecting the label BEA from the drop down label menu in the sidebar, or searching BEA in the search bar in the sidebar.

As always if you want to do some investigating yourself, be sure to check out the BEA site. Some of the questions submitted would have easily been answered with a visit there!

BEA, first edition



Is there a schedule of author signings posted anywhere? I couldn't find it on the BEA Javits website, all I see is the ticketed author schedule.

Yes there is. In the right sidebar this is a search feature. "Search It Find It" There is an icon for books and authors.



How many business cards should I bring to BEA? I ordered 200. I've needed about 100 at other conferences I've attended. However, those conferences were nowhere near as big as BEA in scope.

This is something that is going to be different for everyone. I didn't hand out that many last year, I don't even think I handed out 50... I still have several boxes of business cards left. If you've attended conferences before, I'm assuming you've built some contacts, you probably don't need to present the same people with your business cards when they already have your information.



I have one more question! Are there any YA authors doing autograph sessions (or speaking on stage on panels) you would recommend checking out?

There are several YA authors doing sessions and panels. And I would definitely recommend checking them out. Here again this is going to be a little different for everyone, since we all have personal preferences!

One of the things that I really enjoyed was the Children's Author Breakfast. It's a ticketed event, so you have to buy a ticket, but it was well worth it. Most of the other panels aren't ticketed and are located on the Expo floor.



I can't go to BEA this year but was thinking about Armchair BEA but I am a little confused at what would actually happen on my blog.

I am not familiar with the goings on of Armchair BEA. I would suggest you contact the people that are involved with that. There is contact information on the site.



So many questions, so little time.

Last year you mentioned catching a shuttle bus from the hotel (unless I read that wrong). How did you get to it, is it going to be available this year, and what is the easiest way to get the BEA?

Yes there is a shuttle. There are several different routes and stops. You can find that information on the BEA website. It's under the "Travel" link. Then "Getting to Javits." The bus schedule link is the very first listing. That's probably the easiest way to get there.

Would you recommend bringing a suitcase to store your daily booty in?

Lots of people bring suitcases to periodically put their books in. I bring a book bag and carry around the books that I get throughout the day, I'm not there to get a suitcase full of stuff. My backpack does get heavy though, but it's a good way to keep myself in check.


I believe, you just check your suitcase with an attendant, but I've heard of people missing things when they went back at the end of the day to pick up their bag.

Was FedEx expensive from BEA?

FedEx prices are going to depend on how many books you send out and where to.

Are people easy enough to approach while in line?

I'm assuming you mean Expo attendees in line? Like bloggers, librarians, booksellers and such? If that's the case, then YES! These people are book lovers just like you! You already have something in common and you've never even met!

Can a person go into one of the seminars after it starts and leave before it's finished if they are other goings-on that you want to attend (like author signings)?

No. They padlock the doors and you have to stay in your seat until the session is over. HA! Just kidding! Of course you can leave! People are in and out of those rooms constantly.

Last year, was the convention center a comfortable temperature or should a person bring a sweater/go sleeveless?

I probably wouldn't go sleeveless. It's a comfortable temp... but you have to remember there is a MASS of people! It might be cool in the morning but it doesn't take long for the all those bodies to warm it up. I don't remember being uncomfortable temperature wise at all.

Any words of wisdom at all for BEA that you haven't covered already?

Take it in strides. Don't overbook yourself. Everyone wants to have a packed schedule, and they underestimate how exhausting it's going to be after being at the expo all day.

Don't be upset if you don't get invited to every little thing and blogger meet up. Some of my best experiences at BEA last year were the times it was just me and my two roommates out to dinner, having fun and talking books.

Remember as a blogger you are representing a group of people. This is a professional event. Act like it.

Don't be afraid to talk to people. Overall I had a great experience meeting new people last year! Did get snubbed at a few of the publishing exhibit booths, but such is life. There are plenty of publishers there that ARE interested in connecting with bloggers, focus on those.

Don't be afraid to ditch your friends. No really, I'm serious. Go do your own thing! I find it easier to approach someone when I am alone.

And... that's all I can think of right now.

Thanks. You have no idea how nervous I am.

Don't be nervous, you're going to have a blast!


Tighter by Adele Griffin (Goodreads | Amazon

)
The Implosion of Aggie Winchester by Lara Zielin (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Eve by Anna Carey (Goodreads | Amazon

)
OyMG by Amy Fellner Dominy (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Flawless by Lara Chapman (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

(Goodreads | Amazon

)
Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (Goodreads | Amazon

)
I'm Not Her by Janet Gurtler (Goodreads | Amazon

)
We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Paradise by Jill S. Alexander (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Possess by Gretchen Mcneil (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Frost by Marianna Baer (Goodreads | Amazon

)
A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Sirensong by Jenna Black (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean (Goodreads | Amazon

)
Love Story by Jennifer Echols (Goodreads | Amazon

)
The Apothecary by Maile Meloy (Goodreads | Amazon

)