The Story is About   +  Simon and Schuster

Wake

Wake by Lisa McMann

What an enthralling story! I can’t wait for the rest of this series! I’d heard good things about Wake and I wasn’t disappointed at all!

Janie has a gift, although it seems to be more of a curse. She can visit people in their dreams, well actually she is sucked into peoples dreams, and it is rather impossible to escape. She fist discovers her talent at the age of eight, but doesn’t realize the magnitude of her ability until she is older.

Janie grew up in Fieldridge, Michigan. Her mother is an alcoholic and she is often reminded of her "white trash" status at school. While these are obstacles, I think these are the things that makes Janie the strong character that she is. Janie’s only friend is a girl named Carrie, that moved in next door. But Janie doesn’t even trust Carrie with her secret. The only person that knows about Janie’s ability is a boy named Cabel. Janie has been in Cabel’s dreams and she thinks she knows him and even trusts him despite his horrific dreams. But then Janie finds things out about Cabel that would haunt even her dreams. She tries to avoid him, but Cabel’s pleas reach her through one of his dreams. Somehow she finds the strength to trust him and find out the truth behind his bad boy image. Now Janie may be able to use her ability for something good.

Wake was quick paced and thrilling! The characters were well developed and the relationship between Janie and Cabel constantly kept me guessing. I was really hoping that Cabel wasn’t just a big jerk! I felt the emotional trauma that Janie was forced to face and it made me respect her character even more. If you still haven’t read Wake, this is one of those books you don’t want to miss. I know I will be anxiously awaiting Fade! (Feb. 2009)