The Story is About   +  young adult

Rumors: A Luxe Novel

Rumors: A Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen

Release Date: June 3, 2008
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers, HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 432
Other Titles in the series: The Luxe

Summary:

Let me just say that this is a spoiler free review, although if you haven’t read The Luxe there are a few revelations in this review that may reveal some of the plot lines from the first book.

The mysterious death of Elizabeth Holland still hangs onto the hearts of those whom she was close too. Her fiancé remembers the look she gave him the last time their eyes met and it continues to haunt him. Only Diana Holland and Penelope Hayes know the truth behind Elizabeth’s death. That she didn’t in fact perish, but fled New York to follow her one true love, Will Keller.

Penelope has her heart set on claiming everything that Elizabeth left behind, including her fiancé, Henry Schoonmaker. Henry, however, is even more aware of his feelings for the younger Holland sister, Diana.

Lina Broud, the Holland’s former maid, continues to rise into society as she had often dreamed. Box seats at the Opera and lavish parties are now her reality. She also continues to be a cause of trouble for the Holland sisters, with the help of Penelope Hayes.

When Elizabeth receives word that her mother is ill and that the family is in financial disarray, she knows that she must return to New York. Even if it means revealing the scandalous nature of her true disappearance. Elizabeth, never could have imagined what events would unfold next.

Review:

Rumors was an entertaining and captivating sequel to The Luxe. If possible it may be even better than its predecessor! Godbersen continues to impress me with her writing and flair for the dramatic. Although I initially started reading this book for its historical fiction aspect, I can’t help but become engrossed in all the components of the story! Diana continues her reign as my favorite character. I find myself admiring her strength and compassion. Penelope, unfortunately continues to be her evil, conniving self and I only hope that she gets what she deserves in the end. I have come to know and care for these characters and I was very surprised and shocked by the ending! I have to say I was a little disappointed at first and thought that certain aspects were unnecessary, but not every book can have a happy ending. I have faith in Godbersen’s creative mind and I can’t wait to see what she has devised for us next. I will eagerly be waiting for the release of Envy.