The Story is About   +  novel

Author Interview: Lynn Weingarten

Lynn Weingarten

Books:

  • Wherever Nina Lies


Website


Wherever Nina Lies

Nina was beautiful, artistic, wild . . . and adored by her younger sister, Ellie. But one day, without any warning, Nina disappeared.

Two years later, Ellie can't stop thinking about her sister. Although everyone else has given up hope that Nina will return, Elile just knows her sister is out there, somewhere. If only Ellie had a clue where to look.

And then she gets one, in the form of a mysterious drawing tucked into the pages of a book. Determined to find her sister, Ellie takes off on a crazy, sexy, cross-country road trip with the only person who believes she's got a chance -- her hot, adventurous new crush.

Along the way, Ellie finds a few things she wasn't planning on. Like love. Mysteries. Lies. And something far ore shocking -- the truth.

(summary from Goodreads)


Describe your writing in three words.

I'm not sure how it comes out to other people, but I know that usually I'm going for: fun, emotional and engaging. If I hit one of these, I'm pretty happy.

What's the most interesting comment you've received about Wherever Nina Lies?

When the book first came out, a few of my friends told me that they while they were reading it, they could kind of hear my voice reading it to them. I know this is something that just sort of happens when you're reading a book written by someone you know (it has certainly happened to me with friends' books) and therefore it probably shouldn't have felt so surprising to hear them say this. But still somehow it was.

If you could travel back in time for one year, what time and place would you choose? And if you could only take 3 things with you, what would they be?

Hmm, I’m not sure I’d want to go to any other time period for a whole year. However, if I could go to any other time for a couple of hours, I'd definitely like to go back 150ish million years to wherever the biggest dinosaurs were hanging out. 

I'd bring a small helicopter so I could fly around (in this version of the world, I would know how to fly a helicopter), a fancy video camera (that would be attached to the front of the helicopter, so I'd have my hands free for steering), and some sort of protective pod/suit that would keep me from getting eaten.

What can your readers expect from you next?

Right now I’m finishing up another YA novel which will be out from Harper Collins in 2011.

What's something about you that most people would be surprised to find out?

Wherever Nina Lies is basically a road trip book . . . but I don’t have a driver’s license. I grew up in a suburb where everyone drove but my birthday is in July and a bunch of my friends were a year older, so by my 16th birthday I wasn’t depending on my parents for rides anymore anyway. And I just never ended up learning. Then I went off to college and not long after that I moved to NYC where I’ve lived ever since (and hardly anyone even owns a car). That said, I’ve been taking driving lessons and now finally do in fact know how to drive. Like, if I was ever in a car involved in a high-speed chase and the driver for some reason shouted “TAKE THE WHEEL!!!” I could totally do that.



Thanks Lynn! Can't wait to see what you have in store for 2011!!