The Story is About   +  blog advice

Dear Story Siren (2)

Dear Story Siren,

I am a spanish girl, reader and blogger and I would like to contact american authors and publisher in order to review their books. I know a lot of people get to have their ARC or books signed about their favourite writers... but I'm still a little bit inexperienced in that kind of contact.

Could you give me any advice?

Thanx

L.



Dear L,

I get this question a lot from international bloggers. Honestly I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of how this works as I live in the US. As far as I'm aware US publishers do not usually send books overseas, but I could be wrong.

As far as contacting authors, I don't think they would object to you contacting them, but they may not be able to send you a book either.

If you are looking to get more US titles, a great place to go online, is The Book Depository. They have numerous titles and free worldwide shipping to most countries. Another international blogger mentioned BookSneeze as a place to get advance readers copies, but again, I am not familiar with this program, so I can't say much about it. Lenore of Presenting Lenore also recently started the International Blogger Mentor Program, which you might want to check out as well.

If there are any international bloggers that have better insight into this question, please feel free to answer!

Sorry I can't be of more help!

The Story


Dear Story Siren,

There's this book that I'm absolutely dying to read and I've been thinking about contacting the author (or the publishing house) for a copy of the book. But I also want to interview the author... and I feel like asking the author for an ARC and an interview would be too much. Am I right in thinking this? And what should I do?

-S.



Dear S.

This is a tricky question. And your answer will vary depending on who you ask. Personally, I'm not a fan of emailing for books, but I do it. Because sometimes there are books that I am "absolutely dying" to read too!

At the same time there are other people don't bat an eyelash! I don't think you're asking for too much, but you should be comfortable with what you are doing.

Honestly...what's the worst that could happen?... they could say no. Why not go for it?

For interviews, I usually contact the author directly. And I have been told "no" before! But it's always worth a try.

Good Luck!

The Story


If you have a question... blog related, personal, book related... submit it below to be featured on a future post of "Dear Story Siren"